Tuesday 11 March 2014

An Aladdin's Cave - 10/03/2014

View from Lomond Shores 
Recently, Laura has started a new job at the Sea Life Loch Lomond aquarium. So last night Big Al and I headed up to Lomond Shores to meet her after work go diving and receive details of out 'secret mission'. After parking up, enjoying the view and then heading to the aquarium we met Laura.

Our mission, should we choose to accept it, was to collect some mussels to feed the 'stars' of the rock pool exhibition. We accepted and headed a few miles up the road to the Caves at Loch Long. For me, this would be my third time in a row at the site, but I wasn't too bothered as I'm still mesmerised by the boulder wall and the myriad of life it contains.

While kitting up and buddy checking we joked about remembering everything before clambering down the rock face. As I plopped into the water I realised that I had forgotten my fins. So Big Al - who was at the back of the pack - very kindly climbed back up and got them for me. 


Once underwater we headed down to around 20m and began the critter search. There was some great life about including:


  • large edible crabs
  • lobster
  • dahlia anemone
  • wrasse
  • cod
  • bloody henry

Laura had quickly filled her little bag and we headed back enjoying the great visibility. Once at the surface the swag was transferred into a tub containing sea water and we headed back to aquarium.


Peacock worm

Dahlia anemone

Bloody henry
I should say that up until that point in my life I'd never been in the aquarium, though I'd been to its sister site in Oban. So upon arrival we were greeted at the trade entrance by Mark (the manager) who took us in and gave us a closed door tour of the facility. 

I was really impressed, the main tank is particularly good with a great selection of sharks, grouper, eels and a green turtle. Well worth a visit I'd say!


Dude!
Grouper

No comments:

Post a Comment