Tuesday 25 November 2014

Day 2 - What Goes Down… - 19/11/2014

Today was always going to be a day of wrecks.  I like wrecks, I’ve done a few. I find them atmospheric.

Today’s wrecks in reverse order of fame and coincidentally diving order were:


Both Dunraven and Kingston were from rhibs, while the Thistlegorm (discovered by famed privateer and oceanographer,  Jacques Cousteau) was off the back of the live-aboard.

The Dunraven was nice enough without providing much excitement. By way of contrast, the Kingston was a negative entry (my first ever) into a seriously strong current that meant if you landed on the wrong side of the wreck you had very little chance of exploring it.  Knowing this I never took my camera, which I instantly regretted!

The life on the Kingston wasn't any more spectacular than anywhere else, but I did love the table corals on the neighboring reef and well, it was just a nice looking wreck.

However, the highlight of the day was meant to be the Thistlegorm. It’s the “most beautiful wreck in the Red Sea” apparently. It is certainly interesting with its assortment of wrecked cargo. The WW2 ruined cargo includes:

  • Motorbikes
  • Rifles
  • Tanks
  • Trucks

It was all interesting enough but for me the highlight was diving it at night. The Zookeeper who has dived it at least 5 or 6 times opted to stay on board. So my buddies for the evening were the Lawman and Bridget (also accompanied by Sergeant Chris, Smooth Criminal and Al-chemist (so named due to his inexhaustible supply of medicinal compounds).

We started at the rear working our way up the starboard side to the bow before heading back down the port side.

I was just bumbling about taking snaps of scorpionfish, a crocodile fish and some nudis when suddenly it went from being fairly quiet and atmospheric to being like Sauchiehall Street (for non Glasgow readers it’s a busy shopping street – you can really substitute in any busy street name).

We were in a melee of around 20-30 divers from three different groups. I laughed as I saw divers with some very expensive photographic toys bumping into chunks of metal, lose control of their buoyancy and all the stuff that you see – you know what I mean. I just kept low avoided being clattered and kept an eye on the Lawman’s fins. Eventually, we burst free from the crowd and encountered a really nice crocodile fish.

Reaching the line we went up. I pondered it the days events on the safety stop. What goes up must come down, but what goes down doesn’t need to go up. However, divers do, sadly.

Nudibranch

Motorcycle


Scorpionfish

Nudibranch

Crocodile Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment