Wednesday 4 February 2015

The Dive That Never Was - 03/02/2015

Today was going to be a special day. TDFKAMF had reached 99 dives. Tonight would have been 100. We were also diving with The Kingmaker, who was diving in Scottish waters for the first time since returning from the Red Sea where, apparently, he was swimming with an Oceanic Whitetip, but as we always say, if there is no picture then it didn't happen. We met up and headed over to Seal Reef, Loch Fyne for the event....

About two thirds of the way there I heard TDFKAMF utter an expletive. He'd forgotten his weights. I sincerely offered mine and I'd sit it out. He declined - he's a gentleman that way.

So it fell to The Kingmaker and I to kit up and head in. His girlfriend had wondered if he was fit* enough to be diving in Scotland. He said he was. *coughs*

We headed in and went down passing a number of Highland Dancer nudibranchs. We bottomed out out at 32m  and headed along to a secondary reef that I'd never been able to find before. I suspect my inability to find it was because I'd been told that it lay elsewhere. The visibility was good. As was the life. 

Now, I can count on one hand the number of Highland Dancers I've seen - 3. Once at this site, once at the St Catherine's Pier and once at Drishaig. Tonight we found four highland dancers and numerous nice scorpion fish. 

In addition, I'd add that it was warm. The coldest temperature recorded by my computer was 8c. That's five degrees warmer than it was just four days ago.

We returned to see TDFKAMF standing sentry with my head torch on. The 100th dive that never was.


* Caution: Euphemism alert

Highland dancer


Scorpion fish


Scorpion fish

Highland dancer

No comments:

Post a Comment