Monday 11 May 2015

The Rope to Nowhere - 10/05/2015

Diving St Abbs area on Scotland's south east coast has been on the "to do " list for quite some time. Previous trips haven't suited my hectic schedule, but finally I was able to make it. We were to be diving the Glanmire followed by a shallow scenic dive departing by boat from Eyemouth.

Captain Al and I had had a pre-dive discussions about diving the Glanmire, which lies in 30m. It's a square profile dive which is well suited to a 32% Nitrox mix to extend your bottom time by around 5 minutes. We both plumped for that. Sadly, it meant I had to get one of my tanks O2 cleaned at Aquatron, my local dive shop at short notice, but they were very accommodating!

I won't lie, I was feeling a bit unwell even on the trip over. I took a variety of medications to soothe pending sea sickness, and I knew from previous experiences I'd be fine in the water and while the boat was moving.

Anyways, once on the boat we kitted up and prepared to go in. We dropped in last and went down the line. I felt like I was following a rope to nowhere, then at about 15-20m I started to see the wreck take shape. The current was strong on the line and I knew that if let go before hitting the deck we would be blown off - as happened to my chauffeur for the day Jim and his buddy. 

As we touched down, at 30.1m, amongst the ships boilers I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned round to see Captain Al in a maelstrom of bubbles. On the surface I'd later find out it was free flow. I offered my octopus, but he was well equipped with his pony and we started to ascend. Heading back up the line he seemed to temporarily fix the problem and suggested going back down, but to be honest. I've always erred on the side of caution and, despite his best intentions, I rejected the offer in exchange for both of us making it to the surface without any further problems.

So that was it, my visit to the Glanmire was fleeting. At the surface Captain Al apologised for 'ruining my dive', but in all honesty I think my dive would have been ruined by not making it back to the boat safely. That constitutes a successful dive in my view and, as a bonus, at least we saw the wreck. Moreover Jester had made me promise not break Captain Al prior to the trip. I like to think I held up my end of the bargain.

There were a number of people who while they made it back alive, didn't make it back safely and had to sit the second dive out as their computers had locked them out for failing to maintain safety stops, missing deco stops or some other misadventure. :)

After a brief vomit over the side of the boat I was feeling good for the second dive. For that we entered a small bay behind St Abb's Head and dropped into a fairly shallow 14m to the wreck of the Odense. You can read about through the link, but aside from some metal and a boiler there isn't much left. There are, however, some nice anemones, the odd wrasse, edible crabs and lobsters. Oh, and great volcanic rock formations.

A note to the Glanmire: I'll be back.

Odense
Odense
Dahlia Anemone
Dahlia Anemone
Rocks
Dahlia Anemone
Deeplet Anemone
Captain Al


No comments:

Post a Comment